Saturday, October 25, 2008

Bat's at the Children's Museum

On Thursday, Shawn, the boys and our friend Jennifer and her son Jacob went to the Children's Museum. Despite the crowds, we had a really good time. The highlight for me personally was a bat program we were able to see. I had read about it in the museum magazine this summer, and I wanted to make sure and go and see it. No, I'm not a complete weirdo, but I do a big bat unit with my class every year, and I thought that it would be really cool to see real bats up close! I also thought that the boys would think it was cool too. I couldn't believe how close we were able to get to the bats! They brought 2 small bats (a dog face bat and I believe a little brown bat...yes that is their real names...and yes the latter can be found in Indiana) and 2 big bats. For those of you who know and love the book Stellaluna, they brought a fruit bat that is just like the one from the book (it is the bat in the last picture...isn't it SO cute!!!...ok, maybe I am a bit odd ;). The other bat they brought is the largest kind of bat that I believe is called a Malaysian fruit bat. If you are interested in seeing pictures of this bat, check out my class blog. I didn't want to gross people out. :)



As always, we also spent awhile in the superhero exhibit. This time it was really cool, because a real cartoonist was there drawing pictures of Superheros for the kids. Brannon thought it was cool because he drew a Spiderman for him and he was able to color it there with their special oil crayons. Brannon really watched and listened to him as he drew the pictures and tried to go back to the table and draw a picture using his techniques. We think that he is going to be our artist. :)

No comments: