Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Not Being "That Parent".....

As you may have read in Rebecca's last post, on the way to Brannon's t-ball game he made it known that he did not want me out on the field next to him. He said he wanted me to sit on the other side of the fence. Now, Brannon is an independent child - there is no question about that. :) But it took me off guard because it was only his second game.

Regardless, I have never wanted to be one of "those" parents. You know the ones I am talking about I hope....the ones that always blame the coach or the umpire for their children not getting a full ride to an ACC school even though they are playing on a 12 year old traveling team. Luckily, my dad was a fantastic example for me in being a sports parent. I remember one time when we had our end-of -the-year Little League awards and I didn't win MVP but won the Sportsmanship trophy again (for the umpteenth time). When we got in the car I openly proclaimed my disdain for never winning the cool award but always winning the boring one. My dad let me know, quickly I might add, that the Sportsmanship Award was the one he thought was the most important and was the one he hoped I would always win. He told me it's not always about being the best, it's about giving your best. That stuck with me.

So back to Brannon.....once he told me that he didn't want me to be out there with him, I said OK. I wasn't going to push it. More than anything I want him to learn to love the game that I love so much (just like my Dad taught me) and to have fun. Once we got to the park, we hung out until the game before us was finished. We then all walked onto the field and they began to warm up. After they got some initial instructions I asked Brannon again if he wanted me to sit on the other side of the fence. He said yes. So I took my lawn chair and became a spectator. :( Brannon played really well and looked like he had fun. We never talked about me being a spectator until he went to bed. As he got ready to be tucked in I told him I thought he played really well and asked him if had fun. He said he did have fun. I then told him that I liked watching him play t-ball but that it was hard not to try and help him. I said that I enjoy being close to him and watching him have fun and play. At that point, I said that I would really like to be out on the field with him next time, but it was his choice. He looked at me and said (and I am paraphrasing) "OK Dad, you can be with me next time."

And there were shouts of joy on the inside.......until he changes his mind next week. :) Just as long as I never become "that" parent, just like my Dad wasn't.

No comments: